Sunday, January 16, 2011

Open Your Eyes

When I first started my blog I wanted to keep it positive, encouraging and uplifting. I wanted it to be a place where you would read good, happy and inspiring stories, ideas or views. There is so much bad and negative in this world that it can be depressing. I still have that in mind for my blog but I think I’m going to add to it a bit.
Slowly over time I have learned more about myself and my passions. I have a deep desire to help those less fortunate and in my opinion I believe I have a responsibility to help also. One of the reasons I started volunteering was because I knew how fortunate and blessed I was and I wanted to return the love you could say. Not everyone is as fortunate as you or me. Not everyone had loving parents or got the opportunity to go to college. Not everyone has a car or a roof over their head or running water. There are a lot of hardships, grief, sadness, and poverty if you look around but you have to keep your eyes open to it and not close them or turn away. And then if you do keep your eyes open you need to do something about it.
I want to “open your eyes” you could say to the world around us. What is going on and how people are affected. Put you in THEIR shoes. And there will be sadness and grief and it may at times not be uplifting or inspiring but it is real life and it needs to be made aware of. I’m not wanting to depress anyone or make you sad but instead make you aware so then you can make a POSITIVE, HAPPY, ENCOURAGING, UPLIFTING, difference in someone else’s life. I guess I’m just “spinning” my original idea a little.
I didn’t make the best decision today but it did get me thinking. I decided to take my dog for a walk today; he needed to get some exercise which sounds normal, right? Well not when it’s 20 degrees out and I have bronchitis (I believe I do b/c my husband does). So we’re walking around the block and I am absolutely freezing with a t-shirt, long t-shirt, sweatshirt, and a coat on, plus a scarf, gloves and hat. But I had on very thin sweatpants and oh boy where my legs freezing. They were about numb. And it got me thinking about those who where homeless or the children in Europe who don’t have the proper clothes or home to stay warm. I sponsor a child through World Vision and they are always sending out letters for help. One letter talked about two brothers, eight and ten, who were home alone in Armenia.
       -For young boys facing freezing temperatures, a cozy fire seems    like a dream come true.
But for brothers Karen, 10, and Movses, 8, the fire they built to stay warm nearly took their lives -- and left their family's dreams in ashes.
It happened on an icy morning in one of Armenia's poorest regions. With their parents at work, the young siblings had been left home alone. Soon, the fire in their rickety stove began to die down.
Afraid of freezing, the children poured oil on the embers -- and ignited an inferno that destroyed their home, and burned Movses' face before he was pulled to safety.
"Everything was burned to ashes," says Azniv, the children's mother, who arrived home in time to witness the devastation along with her traumatized children.-
Wow! Put yourself in their shoes. Can you imagine being that cold and being left alone at that young of an age to fend for yourself? For most of us we have no clue what it is like but we can certainly imagine. By donating to Word Vision your gift will multiply 14x’s! A gift as little as $30 can make a huge impact.
I know it’s easier and safer to stay in our own little bubble but how rewarding can that be? Please look around and see the hurt and sadness and depression and grief and try to help. It doesn’t have to be money; it can be your time or resources. A little can go a long way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment