Friday, February 25, 2011

One more Shovel

Does anyone like to procrastinate like me? I can get an A+ in this area sometimes. For example I said I would run a 5k March 26th and have I done anything to prepare for these 3.2 miles.....Nope! I did go for two walks last week....not that, that will help me much. If the weather would ever cooperate I'd run outside BUT no we have to keep getting snow. And well a gym membership right now, not in the budget. 


However today I was productive and I shoveled my whole driveway (5-6 inches deep) by myself (only took 40 mins). When I had first started I was going to do half and let my husband do the rest. I didn't want to take all the fun away since he was sleeping when I ventured out to do this invigorating home-owner duty. In the first 5 shovel fulls I was hurting. Luckily the snow was light, meaning not heavy but oh boy did my arms, shoulders and back hurt soon anyway. Definitely had to take a couple minute breaks, rest on the car, and sip my coffee and then back to the duty at hand. It was probably pretty entertaining to watch me shovel since I have A.D.D. and bounced all over the driveway shoveling. I couldn't decide what was the easiest way. 


I kept at it, one shovel full after another shovel full after another shovel full. And I watched as my driveway became cleaner and cleaner. My body would ache but then I would get a second wind if I kept pushing myself. Then came the moment when I decided I was going to get this all done. I've already done so much, why stop now?


We are so good at stopping ourselves right before our breakthrough, right before we see what we can accomplish. All we need is one more push, one more step, one more jump, or going around one more bend and we are there. I love watching Biggest Loser because you watch these contestants push themselves and when they think they can't do it, Bob and Jillian are there to say one more, you can do it. And you know what they can! One contestant was running at a 8 and 9 on the treadmill when the whole time she could do 12. It takes someone else telling us to do it before we will make ourselves. How many of us are living below our potential because our own minds and bodies are telling us we can't do it when we can?


Just keep thinking one foot in front of the other. Just one step then another step. Don't think twenty steps ahead. Think the one right in front of you. We are all greater than we know, just start tapping into that potential. 

2 comments:

  1. HA! So funny you say that about A.D.D. and shoveling. I do the same thing. I bounce all over the driveway, but it eventually gets done! My fiance will come over and help me sometimes and he is super organized and methodical and I drive him nuts with my method :) hahaha
    I swear, Kel, you read my mind sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be because our bdays are so close;-) lol

    ReplyDelete