Thursday, February 17, 2011

Date Night

A while back I posted on Facebook that I was having date night with my husband and some people commented and said "Ha! Couples without children don't NEED date night!! lol But hope you enjoyed anyway!!" and "They have no kids so they should have date night every night. Enjoy it all you can before the kid Kelli." I understand from their point of view what they are saying but Nathan and I rarely have a night off together. Some weeks our schedules are total opposite so we don't see each other very much. That doesn't improve our relationship. The other thing going against us is that we disagree on tv, movies, books, what colors to paint our house, rearranging furniture, food and hobbies(just to name a few). We've only been married just over a year but we've been together for over three years and we're comfortable with each other; which means he's in the living room watching tv and I'm in my office reading or on the computer. Quality time together, eh?! 
Caitlin _ Brians Wedding | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It may sound silly to others but we have to make an effort to do something together. I love my husband dearly but we just don't share the same interests so yes sometimes we do need to "schedule" to do something together like date night. Its easy to get caught up in the same routine night after night and lose part of your relationship and grow apart. We're certainly not there but I can see how it could happen. In my opinion it is actually easier to grow apart then grow together because to grow together you have to put in the time and effort. Nathan loves anime and for me to enjoy it with him I had to try out different anime's to see what I would like. I had to be open to something different. I like going for walks but Nathan is not a fan but he does it to make me happy. 
Love is… | Lucky Optimist
In our relationship we have to compromise and be open to trying something different. Nathan and I have it slightly harder than couples who share a lot of interests together. We have to be open-minded and supportive even when the other doesn't get it or really care. I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything but it will always be work for us. We have to grow together but still respect the other's opinions and interests. One of our biggest "fights" was about where some bookcases should go in our living room! HA! See what I mean. Hopefully as we grow old together we'll find some common ground. 


L-O-V-E.....is putting your happiness aside for someone else's happiness


L-O-V-E.....is actions not words


L-O-V-E.....sees ALL the person, faults and all and still chooses her


L-O-V-E.....is my husband saying he wishes he could take my pain on him so I didn't have to feel it anymore


L-O-V-E....always forgives

2 comments:

  1. Over the years I have found that "people" in general will place quick judgments on anyone they want. If you're single, they ask when you'll settle down. When you're dating someone, they ask when is "the big day?" When you get married, they ask when you're going to have kids, etc. etc. etc.
    And my sister is finding out (now that they had their first child a year ago) people ask when they plan to have another?
    It's so easy to assume we know what is best for other people. And to assume that just because you don't have kids that you have more time with each other isn't fair.

    Great post!

    Oh and:
    "LOVE - is putting your happiness aside for someone else's happiness".... often turns into your own happiness once you see that person's happiness! At least I think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I love the new font! How did you change it? Please email me! angie6184@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete