Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Is it worth it?

A while back I was talking with a guest and he asked what Nathan and I would do after we got married. I told him that Nathan wanted to fly helicopters and we'd be looking for schools. The guest mentioned how expensive it would be and I said it wouldn't be any different than Nathan going to college. Spending that money and making him happy is better than him doing something he hated and coming home miserable everyday. If he comes home miserable then my life would be miserable. What happens in your professional life effects your personal life. I would hate for Nathan to do something he hated for 30-40 years and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially my husband.

The member seemed a little amazed that I didn't care about money and material things but only Nathan being happy. I want to do well in life but not at the expense of either of us being unhappy. The guest I was speaking with has a lot of money but in my opinion it has come at a cost. He is traveling and working more than he is home with his family. His kids have only known this kind of lifestyle. There's many advantages to growing up with money but at the same time there is a lot lost. The parents need to make sure they educate their children and show them that life isn't easy and they'll need to work hard.

Since that conversation Nathan has decided not to pursue helicopters. My dream for him is that he finds his passion and does it. I want Nathan to do nothing less than what brings him happiness and joy. Life is way too short to be miserable even if that job does bring wealth or prestige or nice cars and fancy houses.

2 comments:

  1. I try to keep up with all your posts, but I honestly can't get on to read every day... so I missed your birthday! SORRY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Mine was the 1st! I think I remember in college us talking about this at one point :)
    I like what you're writing, so keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ang! appreciate the feedback and the birthday wishes. i remembered your bday=) its easy to keep up since fb posts them.

    ReplyDelete