Monday, June 28, 2010

Letting Go

I have ALWAYS liked and/or wanted to be right and if I'm not...well I'm sure as heck not going to admit it. To me that would hurt my pride and possibly embarrass me if I wasn't right. Luckily though I am getting much better at this whole being right thing ALL the time. I remember back in my teen years when someone did me wrong, I didn't want to forgive that person. Why? Because for one if you forgive that person, it's like you're saying what they did was okay when it definitely wasn't. Also when you forgive someone you're putting your pride, the right to be right aside and humbling yourself instead. WHAT?! So you can see where I may have had a problem.

I have been fortunate enough to learn the importance of forgiveness early on. Can you think of a time when you just couldn't forgive someone? What this person did was unbelievable and you just can't fathom forgiving him? What was on your mind all the time? What consumed your thoughts and actions? How did this person affect your life? The problem with not forgiving is that you let bitterness and anger take hold of your heart, your thoughts and your actions. And the funny thing is the person who you're angry at has no clue what 'hold' they have over you. You are letting that person control your life! You don't have to wait until that person apologizes to forgive. You may never get an apology. This person may have no idea you're upset with him.

Think of it this way, when you forgive someone who "trespasses" against you; it isn't for him, it is for you! It frees your heart and gives you peace. The power over you is gone. The best thing that I have read is from Beth Moore who says "Forgiving means 'handing over to God the responsibility for justice'." Scripture tells us "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32) Also (Romans 12:19) "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay' says the Lord."

I want to take this a little bit farther. When Jesus was crucified like a criminal he prayed "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing" (Luke 23:34). Jesus experienced horrible torture on our behalf. He took our sins onto him when we should have been the ones on the cross and then on top of it, he prayed that his Father would forgive those who were crucifying him! This is the example we are to follow. If Jesus forgave then we should to.

I'm in no way saying that forgiving is easy but it is so important that you do it. When you don't it has a hold or power against you and it hardens your heart. God can't work in your life with your heart in that condition which means he can't heal you. Why would you want to live your life with bitterness, anger and hatred? What kind of life is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment