Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Traveler's Gift

As I was reading The Traveler's Gift I would come across sentences or paragraphs that I thought were great advice and thought I'd share them.
  • Truth is truth. If a thousand people believe something foolish, it is still foolish! Truth is never dependent upon consensus of opinion.
  • If you worry about what other people think of you, then you will have more confidence in their opinion than you have in your own.
  • Poor is the man who future depends on the opinions and permission of others.
  • If you're afraid of criticism, you will die doing nothing.
  • I see men who don't know the limits they can reach.
  • Success requires the emotional balance of a committed heart. When confronted with a challenge, the committed heart will search for a solution. The undecided heart searches for an escape. A committed heart does not wait for conditions to be exactly right.
  • David Ponder " I am actually going through the worst time in my life right now." Abe Lincoln "Congrats are in order then! Better days are most assuredly ahead. To us, two men experiencing the worst life has to offer."
  • As adults we are afraid to step out of the light. We are afraid to become more. But how can we lead others to a destination we have not reached? Keep searching. I am urging you to seek the light that to you seems so far in the distance. It will be worth the journey. You will become a lighthouse of personal growth and power and by your example and leadership, you will prevent many a worthy man from crashing his life upon the rocks of mediocrity.
  • The unmistakable truth about forgiveness is that it is not a reward that must be earned; forgiveness is a gift to be given. When I give forgiveness, I free my own spirit to release the anger and hatred harbored in my heart. By granting forgiveness, I free my spirit to pursue my future happily and unencumbered by the anchors of my past. And forgiveness, when granted to others, becomes a gift to myself.
  • But it is a fact that great leaders--great achievers--are rarely realistic by other people's standards. Somehow, these successful people, often considered strange, pick their way through life ignoring or not hearing negative expectations and emotions. Consequently, they accomplish one great thing after another, never having heard what cannot be done. That is precisely why one should never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing!
  • Times of calamity and distress have always been producers of the greatest men. The hardest steel is produced from the hottest fire; the brightest star shreds the darkest night.

No comments:

Post a Comment