Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Making a difference

I had this thought come to me and I thought I'd share it.............With the economy so bad, what can an individual (or group) do to help, to make things better, to give hope, to take away stress, to lesson burdens and to show the good in this world? How can the everyday person be an inspiration?

I'm not a fan of conflict, fighting, or arguments. I don't like purposely trying to make someone else's life difficult. I don't like teasing or harassing. I strongly dislike bullies. I don't understand why an individual or group needs to put someone down to make themselves feel good? This world is already tough enough w/out all the added burdens "we" cause. My goal is to help people, encourage them, inspire them and support them. I don't want to see homeless people, high school dropouts, addicts, or bullies. I want to see artists, teachers, accountants, mothers, actors, activists, and so on. I want to see that people have a roof over their head and food on the table and running water and clothes to wear.

There are so many things we can do to help others. Big and small. Examples:
  • work at a soup kitchen
  • be a mentor
  • volunteer at a place of your interest
  • teach children a sport you enjoy
  • Big Brother/Big Sister
  • sending gifts/cards to soldiers
  • adopting pets
  • buy someone lunch
  • donate to charities
  • tell someone how much you appreciate them
  • cook someone dinner/meal
  • invite a new neighbor over
  • bake cookies for anyone-neighbor, work, kids class, church
  • be a pen-pal
  • decorate someone's house for holidays-wrap Christmas presents
  • just listen
  • babysit for free
It only takes one good deed to make a difference in someone's life! The more good you do the more it will come back to you. You never know when that "deed" will come back and reward you or how big it will. Giving is a spiritual principle and if you give unselfishly, then it is going to be given back. Giving can be money, our time, our energy or our talent.

To keep with the same theme another question popped to mind.....What would the world be like if every person would find a way to do good every single day? What would our cities be like? Our offices? Our schools?

John Bunyan "The Pilgrim's Progress"
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back."

No comments:

Post a Comment