Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Responsibility

poverty and hungerI know poverty because poverty was there before I was born and it has become part of life like the blood through my veins. Poverty is not going empty for a single day and getting something to eat the next day. Poverty is going empty with no hope for the future. Poverty is getting nobody to feel your pain and poverty is when your dreams go in vain because nobody is there to help you. Poverty is watching your mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters die in pain and in sorrow just because they couldn't get something to eat. Poverty is hearing your grandmothers and grandfathers cry out to death to come take them because they are tired of this world. Poverty is watching your own children and grandchildren die in your arms but there is nothing you can do. Poverty is watching your children and grandchildren share tears in their deepest sleep. Poverty is suffering from HIV/AIDS and dying a shameful death but nobody seems to care". Poor Grandmother " Poverty is when you hide your face and wish nobody could see you just because you feel less than a human being. Poverty is when you dream of bread and fish you never see in the day light. Poverty is when people accuse you and prosecute you for no fault of yours but who is there to say some for you? Poverty is when the hopes of your fathers and grandfathers just vanish within a blink of an eye.  I know poverty and I know poverty just like I know my father's name. Poverty never sleeps. Poverty works all day and night. Poverty never takes a holiday"         (One Poor African)


***This really broke my heart especially where it said " Poverty is going empty with no hope for the future. Poverty is getting nobody to feel your pain and poverty is when your dreams go in vain because nobody is there to help you." Can you imagine being in this situation? I have a education and a college degree and a job and I have hope for the future and dreams. I am surrounded by people who would help me if needed. I have no clue what it is like to be in poverty. These people were born into their circumstance and there is no one to help them. 


Yes, I try to always write something that is positive and uplifting but I also have a deep passion for helping those who need it. When I started this blog I didn't know where it would take me but as I learn more about myself I see that what motivates me is being a voice for those who need to be heard. We were fortunate to be born here in the U.S. and in my opinion we have a responsibility to help those who can't help themselves. If it's not our responsibility, then who's? Should we just let this continue? 


This is reality and life and this may be sad and depressing but the positive and encouraging news is we can help. We can make a difference in these people's lives. Isn't this what life is about? Don't we have a purpose? I don't think it's to make the most money and buy all we want. 


~November 9th~I'm so thankful that I can be a voice for those who need to be heard. I can speak up and make a difference. I don't have to sit by and watch helplessly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment