Thursday, November 11, 2010

We're Rich!

I wanted to let you know that you're rich, we're rich and the Church in America is rich. If your income is $25,000 per year, you are wealthier than approximately 90% of the world's population! If you make $50,000 per year, you are wealthier than 99 % of the world! Are you shocked? There are 6.7 billion people on earth and almost half of them live on less than $2 a day. Ninety three percent of the world's people don't own a car. We see our American lifestyles as normative when in fact they are grossly distorted compared to the rest of the world. 


Doesn't this make you appreciate what you have? I'll be reading about conditions in Africa and then I look around my duplex and think "Wow, I'm so lucky compared to these people." I feel like I'm living in luxury compared to them but compared to other Americans I'm not. My heart can't help but break for these people when I have it so well off. 


I'm asking you to please look around you and see how blessed and fortunate you are. See that things could be so much worse. Then please search your heart and ask yourself "Can I do anything to help? Can I live without new clothes or dinner out? Are my material wants more important than another human beings health?"


November 11~Veterans Day~What would we do without these wonderful men and women who protect us? How our life would be so different if they didn't protect our borders. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I found you through another blog I follow- what a wonderful post. I'm reading a book where the author talks about how 20% of the world has 80% of wealth, and the other 80% of the world shares 20%. (The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne). Thank for this post- it's good to know more people are realizing this. :) Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for the comment! That book sounds interesting...gonna have to look into it:-)

    ReplyDelete