Sunday, November 14, 2010

Change Drive

Starting today you only have the clothes on your back, you get one meal a day, you have to walk miles to get water that is tainted with parasites and disease but it's the only water you have and you don't get to go to school because your parents can't pay your fees because they are dying of AIDS. Sound like fun? Have any hope for the future? 


This morning in Sunday school I talked to the kids about poverty in Africa and the obstacles the people in Africa face daily and how blessed we are to live here in the U.S. Christmas is coming up and through World Vision (www.worldvision.org) we can send gifts to Africa like clothes, food, animals, clean water, toys, money for school and school supplies, bicycles, soccer balls and much more. We're doing a change drive so we can purchase some of these gifts. One of the girls came up to me afterwards (she's 11) and said that she had $20 and if her mom would let her, she'd put it toward the change drive. I said okay and left it at that. She ended up coming up to me maybe 10-15 minutes later and gave me a $20 bill for the change drive. I was amazed by this girls compassionate heart. She had decided she wanted to give it and she did. Twenty dollars may not sound like a lot but to a child this can be big bucks and she gave it ALL away. Not half or some but ALL of it! I read that the average tithe in America is around 2.2% or 2.7% where it should be 10%. Christians going to church can't part with 10% of their income that God has blessed them with but this little girl can give away all the money she has. And if you're wondering, she doesn't come from a wealthy home. Her parents work hard. 


I have a very compassionate heart for those suffering in Africa and my heart breaks for them. When I spoke to the children today it was with my whole heart, so to have this girl right away give some big bucks for a child was huge for me and really touched my heart. It meant she heard what I said and listened and wanted to make a difference like I do. For anyone that cares passionately about something, you know you want other people to care to and to understand and that's what I wanted and received. Thank You Jesus!


November 14th~I am so very thankful for the wonderful people I go to church with. I am surrounded by amazing people that are caring, loving, encouraging and supportive. It can't get better than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment