Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Walls Up

I had a great conversation with a friend last night. We were talking about how easily others like coworkers, strangers and just people in general can affect OUR happiness. We can let what they say or do get under our skin and just drive us nuts. We dwell on it and complain about it and let it fester. And you know what whoever that person is, is in a sense winning. He has control over you instead of you having control over you. And he doesn't even know it. You aren't even a thought in his mind.
happiness-1.jpg picture by TealLovesYou - Photobucket
We all need to set up a wall or barrier that people can't cross. They can't "get" to us. They can't control our thoughts and emotions. I've worked in customer service for a long time. I've done it since I started working and I've let people get to me, too many times. One look or one word or an attitude has put me over the edge and ruined my day or night or both. I can't control how another person acts. I can't control if she is nice to me. In fact there is a lot I can't control in this world BUT I can control my thoughts and actions and words. I can control who I let pass my wall and into my bubble.
Tumblr_lkkja7fngd1qbpwzeo1_500_large
The thing about happiness is, another person can't give it to you. It's about attitude and perspective. Someone could have a huge house, two cars, more clothes than she knows what to do with and not a care in the world but that doesn't guarantee happiness. Someone could have the best job at the best company and again not be happy. There is a lot of factors to happiness and it depends a lot on YOU not someone else or what you have.
you know that I'm no good
I still have not perfected this art of not letting people pass my wall. I still get annoyed and people still ruin my day. I have gotten much better though. I realize that I can't control everything or everyone or every circumstance. All I can do is control my perspective and attitude. The attitude of the glass is half full and to know good you have to know bad. Gratefulness is another HUGE factor of happiness. When you are thankful for what you have or don't have, life takes on new meaning. The world seems different and life is good.
eleanorroosevelt645743745 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

No comments:

Post a Comment