Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Feeling Anxious Anyone?

It has been quite a while since I've been so anxious/upset that it consumes my thoughts and emotions. I pray everyday but not with the urgency or passion that I desperately feel right now. I haven't had to turn to my bible to look up scripture to help me feel better. Life has been good. Until last night. In the scheme of life it isn't a huge deal but for me personally and the kind of person I am (responsible, dependable, trustworthy) it is really bothering me. It's something that I can't fix on my own and my only hope is to turn to God and trust that he will. 


I rarely crave an alcohol drink but I drink every once in a while. However this morning I was ready for one. I usually crave a drink after a rough night at work and you could say that's how I'm feeling now. I've never been one to turn to alcohol, drugs or sex when life get tough. But I can see how people do. A part of me really wants that drink. I don't really know why? Maybe to relax? But it won't fix my problem. As a society we turn to "things" to fix our problems but in reality these "things" can't fix them. Only God can help you get through. Whether it's by his peace that transcends all understand or by giving you strength. 


I opened my bible and looked up passages on "anxiety." Here's what I found:


Isaiah 41:13
~For I am the Lord, your God, 
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do NOT fear;
 I will help you


Matthew 6:25 and 6:34
~Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
~ Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble on its own


1 Peter 5:7
~Cast all your anxiety on him 
because he cares for you


Philippians 4:7
~Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, 
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your 
requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which 
transcends ALL understanding, will guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus. 


Psalm 55:22
~Cast your cares on the Lord
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall.


Matthew 11:28
~Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, 
and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn 
from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will
find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden 
is light. 


Sounds pretty good, huh!? God is telling us to put our concerns and burden on HIM! He loves us so much that he wants to help us and take the stress away. In my bible the sidebar says "This is an invitation to rest in the arms of a loving father." By worrying we focus on ourselves and not on God. We are saying we don't trust Him to help us with whatever is going on. But He's saying, Come to me! I will give you rest. Come to me, I will give you peace. Come to me and I will sustain you. How can you argue with this? I need peace in my life. I need his strength and his help. I need him to sustain me. Life can be hard and I don't want to do this alone. 


If you're feeling like me today or in the future you do, go to your Bible and look up scripture. Call on God's promises and pray. This will bring you much more healing than a drink ever could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment