Thursday, March 31, 2011

We Should Be

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE buying books! Even when I have thirty books to catch up on, I'll still buy more! I'm addicted, what can I say. (This is one of the only "similarities" that Nathan and I share-buying books but we disagree on topics.) I blame it on my mother. I inherited her illness. The problem isn't so much the buying but the READING of the books. I can't seem to fit all the reading I need to into my very busy schedule. HA! (Not busy just not managing my time well-at least I know my issues-LoL)


I started off on a tangent. Let me wander back to my topic. I'm currently reading Timothy Keller's book Generous Justice; How God's Grace Makes Us Just. As many of you are aware I'm very passionate about the poor and downtrodden and I believe I have a responsibility to help but I wanted to get God's perspective on the subject; hence Mr. Keller's book. In the few pages I've read today I already have many posts I'd like to write. But today I want to respond to a common thought that Christians have.......


"Christians should not be concerned about poverty and social conditions but about saving souls."


I have to say this, WHAT??? Okay it's out of my system now. This attitude is wrong on so many levels. Some may get this attitude because they believe that the Old Testament isn't valid anymore and has nothing to do with the New Testament. However that is a wrong thought. Yes, the Old Testament was all about evil and justice and the New Testament is about love and forgiveness BUT Jesus still cared about the same people in the NT that God cared about in the OT, who were the widows, orphans, socially ostracized and the stranger or immigrant. Jesus didn't just come to save our souls but to also show the poor and downtrodden that God loves and cares for them, just like He does for everyone else. They were no less special or important. Jesus' ministry was very different from OT times but he showed that the God of the OT was the same God of the NT. 


Of course as Christians we want to save souls from going to hell. We want everyone to know the gospel or good news that Jesus died on a cross for our sins so we can have eternal life as long as we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. (John 3:16) So how do we go about this? How do we save souls? Actions speak a lot louder than words. It is so easy to talk the talk than to walk the walk. All day long we can preach the good news but some won't get it by hearing alone. They need to "see" the good news.........but how do you "see" the good news? 


Well for one you can be concerned about poverty and social conditions. I am an avid supporter of World Vision. Yes, they are a Christian organization but when they are overseas helping in Africa, Asia or Latin America or wherever a natural disaster is, they operate by the rules, regulations and religious beliefs of that country. They will share the gospel if allowed but their main goal is to help the people in need. 
Who we are-World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.

Who we serve-We serve close to 100 million people in nearly 100 countries around the world. World Vision serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.

Why we serve-Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve alongside the poor and oppressed as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people.


Reflecting Christ in Each Community-Wherever we work, our prayer is that our efforts will be used by God to heal and strengthen people’s relationships with Him and with one another. We do this by demonstrating God’s unconditional love for all people through our service to the poor — which includes providing for daily needs, working to build peace and promote justice, and partnering with churches and individuals to encourage spiritual transformation.

So isn't World Vision doing exactly what some think we shouldn't be concerned about? By World Vision caring for those who have so much less than we do in the U.S., they are showing God's love for everyone. I much rather see a Christian ACTING like a Christian than talking like a Christian and that is what World Vision is doing. They will help anyone, whether that person or country believes in God. They are concerned for the people's well-being. I want everyone to be a believer but if you aren't that doesn't mean I won't help you or care about you. In fact by me loving and caring for you regardless of your beliefs in turn could turn you into a believer.

As I write this, I don't feel like I got my view out like I wanted to. When I read that sentence today I wanted to shake the person saying it. To me showing concern for poverty and social conditions IS saving souls. It's a way of showing God's love for everyone. The two are one in the same, not opposing ideas. It isn't one or the other. As humans we are all sinners and as Christians we have a lot to learn and it won't happen overnight but when Christians act like a nonChristian it hurts us as a whole. If I say I am a Christian and I believe what the bible says but yet I don't follow the bible, what will people think? Would they want to be a Christian if they see me at church on Sunday and then on Monday I am cussing and on Tuesday I'm cheating on my husband?  Our attitude and actions speak for who God is and what he represents, so it is vital that we show the RIGHT God.

No comments:

Post a Comment