Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tis the Season

This holiday season can be stressful, tiring and exhausting with all the shopping we do for the perfect gifts and then the cleaning and cooking for Christmas parties. This month can be absolutely C-R-A-Z-Y. It just flys by. One day it's December 1st and the next it's December 26th. Did you enjoy those 25 days? Was Christmas all that you wanted it to be?

Last year I did something a little different and I did it again this year. I didn't buy any gifts. I looked around and my family didn't "need" anything and I didn't "need" anything. So why not help someone who DID need something(s)?! Don't get me wrong I love receiving and definitely giving but I would just be buying things. Let me explain. Today for example I went into Hallmark and I was looking around to see if I could find something for my mom (I know I said I wasn't buying gifts but it's hard to get out of that mentality after you've been doing it for over 20 yrs). I looked and looked and there was definitely cute things BUT my mom didn't need any of it. It would be just one more "thing" to add to her "things." She's been around for a while so it's not like she doesn't have enough decorations for the house. I LOVE buying gifts when I know it is something the person will absolutely love and go crazy for. My family got my dad a very special gift that will make his year! I went in on that because it will mean a lot to him. Spending that money is totally worth it and I enjoy it.  

The older I get the more I see that Christmas has turned into something that isn't about anything but presents and parties. We forget that this is the day of Jesus' birth and that is what we should be celebrating. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do presents BUT when it causes you stress and you don't enjoy the season what's the point? If it puts you in debt until next Christmas, what's the point? My thoughts the last two years were "If I want something I buy it and so does the rest of my family so, what is there for me to get them?" and "If I know my friends or family want something during the year, I'll get it then." The older I get the more clutter I see I have and I don't want it anymore so I'm much more cautious when I buy. Do I really need this?

It was a weird adjustment, not buying gifts. I would look at the cute gift bags and want to buy them but I had no gifts to put them in. I'd want to go to the mall but for what? I wasn't buying anything. It was an odd feeling but not bad. Instead I donated money to World Vision, Christian Broadcasting Network and a family our work adopted for Christmas and gave money to a friend struggling this Christmas.

After you read this post I hope you take away with you that this season isn't suppose to be stressful or put you in debt. It is about Jesus' birth, family and friends and helping those who need it. It is an absolutely wonderful time of year if we celebrate the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment