Friday, December 3, 2010

Lesson Learned

Last weekend I was rather annoyed by a coworker. This is a petty story but I'm going to tell it anyway. 


I was cleaning my section and another server asked if I had taken her "sweeper" (also known as a bissell). She thought she had put it between her tables signaling that it was "hers." But that's not where I got it. It was by the podium, which means it's up for grabs. I didn't give it to her, not really sure why I didn't. So I keep cleaning my section and she goes straight to another server and says I took "her sweeper." Okay....I just told you I didn't take it and I told you where I found it and you go straight to another server and flat out lie! That makes me sooooo mad. For one I would never take it if I knew someone else was using it and if I did take I would fess up and tell you I did and then hand it over. I wouldn't lie about it. There was a lot about this incident that could and should have been changed on both parts. 


For one I should have just given it back to her regardless where I found it. I should have been the bigger person. It's not like I was leaving right after I cleaned this one table. I don't know what made me be, in a way selfish. We all get in a habit of thinking me, me, me. I work in a restaurant and when it's time to leave most servers do "their" work and leave. No one wants to stay 5 or 10 minutes to help another. I'm to blame for this at times too but I'm working on it. But anyway back to the incident. So yes I should have been the bigger person, on the other end though, she should have believed me and not brought our "issue" to another server making me "look" bad.  It wasn't that big of a deal. Then come to find out a different server had it last and put it at the podium! She came up to me asking for it. (Which it's not like I didn't know where I found it but at least this way I knew how it got to the podium)


Like I said earlier, this is a petty issue but it's a lesson learned. Stuff like this happens everyday and people get their panties (btw..really, really disliked the word "panties" but it fit here) tied in a knot about it. If I had been younger there's a good chance that I would have held somewhat of a grudge against this girl because I didn't want or know how to be the bigger person. Yes, this time I wasn't the bigger person BUT I recognize that I should have been and my attitude toward her won't change. If anything I'll be nicer. In the end, it's just better that way. Two wrongs don't make a right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment