Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gift of Encouragement

Tonight at bible study our pastor was talking about the gift of encouragement. Some people are just gifted at encouraging and cheering people up. I guess not all people think to say something encouraging to someone who is down, depressed, or sad. I usually try to say something but I don't always know what to say? That can be the tricky part. 


When Nathan was talking about how not everyone thinks to say something, I was thinking about how I think of something positive or encouraging to say but then I don't say it. For example; if someone looks real pretty today or I like their shirt or how they sang well at church today. I'm constantly thinking good things but I don't always voice them and to be honest I don't know why? Maybe because my mind is constantly running a thousand miles a hour and I'm already on to my next thought before I finish the one before it? LoL


The gift of encouragement is so spectacular for many reasons. Can you think of a time that you were down, depressed or sad or all three? How did you get through it? Did someone say something that uplifted you and helped you see how this bad time was going to get better? Did someone do something for you? Maybe she watched your children so you could have a break or took you out for coffee to chat or maybe she cleaned your house or maybe she prayed with you and for you? If we didn't have that encourager what would we do? Would we get better or worse? I believe it's a gift when you know what to say to help the person who needs it. 


I believe we need to be more aware of complimenting someone for a job well done or when she looks especially nice or a new haircut/color or when someone is down saying something uplifting. This is a two part thing; complimenting but not false compliments and saying positive, uplifting, encouraging things. These are two very different things but I think we need to work on both. We're not meant to handle things ourselves. We need support, love and encouragement to get through life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment