Thursday, July 22, 2010

What do we need?

What do we really need in this life to be happy? To be content? Lots of money, huge house, four cars, three vacation homes, private jet, personal tennis court, expensive jewelry, vacations all over the world, all the latest fashions........

Can we be happy with a supportive family, trustworthy friends, working at a job you're passionate about, having a roof over our head, clothes to wear, food to eat, clean drinking water, heat in the winter, air conditioning in the summer, volunteering, giving our time, energy and money, a bed to sleep in with pillows and blankets.

It seems like today in this age we need more "things" to be happy. We sacrifice our family, sleep and energy to work at a job we don't like to make the "good money," we feel the need to keep up with our friends, coworkers and neighbors even if we don't necessarily want what they have. It's like we feel it necessary to be like everyone else. If we don't have what everyone else has then somehow we are lesser.

I used to want all these "things" until I realized it was just clutter. What do I really need to be happy? Do I really need a million different things to decorate my home? Do I really need the newest tv out? Do I really need a new car every two years? When I started giving away "stuff" it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I'm starting to learn that the things that make me happy aren't things. It's spending the afternoon with my nephew, watching anime with my husband, going to church and bible study, walking my dogs, spending Sunday's with my family, keeping in touch with friends, and giving of my time and money. I sponsor a child in Malawi through World Vision and when I think of his situation compared to mine, I am so thankful for ALL that I have. I don't live in a dirt hut and I don't have to walk to get clean drinking water and I don't have to surround my bed with a mosquito net and I don't have to worry about my parents dying from AIDS and I was able to go to school and I have healthly food to eat.

So what do we really need in this life to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment