Monday, July 26, 2010

New Hire

For any of us who have started a new job, we know how exciting it is but also how nerve-wracking it is. You want to make a good impression and you want everyone to like you. For me when I start somewhere new, I'm quiet and a little shy until I get to know everyone and my job. I'm sure there's many people out there like me.

I got into a debate with a friend about a new guy at work. He said that he could tell this guy wasn't going to work out. This frustrated me because it was maybe his second day? In my opinion when people are trying to get acclimated to a job and the people around them, they may not be themselves at first. They have to be comfortable in their surroundings to show their true personality. I'm like this. Because someone may feel this way you need to give that person time and not judge them. My friend was judging instead of giving this person time. He was also judging because he had heard from another person that this guy could be trouble. I have no idea if this is true. The thing we have to remember is that what happens outside of work may not happen inside of work. Also we don't know the true "story." Some people exaggerate when they tell stories (I know a couple people who do this) or they see things differently than another person would.

I don't know anything about this kid and maybe what was said is true? But one thing I've learned from experience is that you shouldn't judge people right away. I've done this many times and I've been wrong many times. One of the reasons I did so well when I started by new job was because everyone was so nice and helpful. I felt comfortable. Again this is my opinion but I think when people aren't comfortable or feel not welcomed they may feel threatened or put on a defensive look or act as protection. I think it's hard to be yourself when the people around you aren't friendly.

You never know where someone is coming from or their history. You don't know if they've had a rough childhood or have been struggling to pay bills. This is why it is so important to be nice to new people and help them and to encourage them. Sometimes what someone needs is just someone showing he cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment