Friday, July 2, 2010

It's a Thinking Thing

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. Groucho Marx

I am a Pollyanna. Can't help it. I usually always have a smile on my face and I am friendly to everyone. Granted I am human so I have my moments but I am genuinely a happy person. I choose to focus on the good in my life, not the bad. In the last thirteen years that I have been in customer service I have come across some very unhappy, negative people and for whatever reason this is the way they are. I have also come across people who settled in life b/c they don't think they can do better. These people break my heart b/c I don't know how you can have a happy life with these attitudes. I don't wish for anyone to live life this way. They are missing out on so much.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be: Abe Lincoln

I've included things to remember so you don't live your life in defeat and unhappiness:
  • The barrier is in your mind. If you don't think you can have what you want for whatever reason (like you're not good enough, smart enough, or rich enough) then you won't. You have to get over that mental hump and believe anything is possible which it is if you work hard enough. Wrong thinking will prevent good things from happening in your life.
  • Your life won't change until you change they way you think. You have to drop the negative, cynical, unproductive thoughts and move onto positive, encouraging, and happy thoughts. No barely-get-by mentality.
  • Your expectations set the boundaries for your life. If you expect to stay at the same job, making the same money and living in the same apartment then you will. Your thoughts link you to your actions. If your thoughts are saying you'll never move up at your job then your actions will show that's what you believe.
  • Your emotions follow your thoughts. If you think sad, depressing thoughts, then that's the emotions you're going to feel. So important to think happy, positive thoughts.
  • You can't let your circumstances or feelings dull your enthusiasm for life. It can imprison you in a negative frame of mind. We all go through tough times, it's inevitable but you can choose to keep a positive attitude and one that expects things to get better. There is always some good in your life. Choose to focus on that, not the bad things.
  • Proverbs 23:7 "As a person thinks in his heart, so he will become."
  • Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and you will eat the fruit thereof. "
  • You move toward what you see in your mind so it's important to look where you want to be. Have a mental picture of the life you want and your actions should move you in that direction.
  • If your thinking is limited then your life will be limited. Think BIG!
  • Don't make plans for negative things. If your grandma and mom had breast cancer, don't plan to have breast cancer. Be proactive and get check-ups but don't plan on having it.
  • Your words tend to produce what you're saying. If you keep telling your children they are lazy, then will start to think they are lazy and then act lazy. Watch the way you word things.
  • Speak affirmatively about yourself. Don't keep thinking and telling yourself that you're not pretty or smart or a good enough mother. As you speak positively about yourself, you're building up your self-esteem.
  • Other people's opinion does not determine your potential!
  • Romans 12:1-2 "We should cast down every wrong imagination and take into captivity every wrong thought."
If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes: Andrew Carnegie
If you struggle with negative thoughts or bad attitudes, remember you are the only one that can make yourself happy. You are the only one that can change your attitude and thoughts. And once you do the sky is the limit.

Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.- Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment