Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kindness Anyway

When I was younger and working, I would let people's attitude toward me get to me. I took it personally, like I was the one doing something wrong. I'm a people pleaser (can't seem to break it) so this is one reason I took it this way. Through the years though I've learned that people will act in ways that have nothing to do with you. Someone may be struggling with family, work, bills, illness and he takes it out on you. When you work in customer service you come across many people with many different personalities. The best advice I have and what I try to do myself; kill them with kindness. Be the bigger person. Some people are just mean or grumpy and it has absolutely nothing to do with you. The thing I try to remember is that this person is also human and just because he acts in a bad way it doesn't mean you can act in the same way. Two wrongs never make a right. Evil for evil is just more wrong and never makes things right.

I wrote something very similar to this. I said that you never know what someone is going through and we should really try to give the person the benefit of the doubt. For all we know they have a sick child in the hospital or just got laid off. What I want to point out here though is that we need to treat people kindly even when we want to be mean or rude back. There has been many times that I'd like to do this but it never ends well. As I've gotten older I've learned not to let other people's attitudes affect mine. I'm not perfect at this but I'm getting better. When I'm serving a customer and she isn't friendly I just let it roll off my back. My friendly and happy attitude will remain in place no matter what and my fantastic night will continue to be fantastic. Who knows my attitude may help those that I'm serving?

No comments:

Post a Comment