Friday, September 3, 2010

Heaven Sent

**This story was in the book Living Life as a Thank You and I wanted to share it.

-It happened on the commuter train. I was in the middle of a very difficult time. I had never felt so alone and afraid in my life. I rested my head against the window, wiping away the tears and hoping no one saw me.

Suddenly, someone tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a hand-drawn note.

Scrawled in pen were a rainbow and a sun and the words: "I see you there crying. Know that the sun will come out again, and that you are never alone. You do not know me, but I will pray for you."

I only saw the well-manicured hand of a woman. But I never even saw the women's face. She disappeared almost instantly. But I knew, in that moment, that no matter what happened to me or my children again, we would never be alone. I had witnessed firsthand the power of one person's pray for another at work--big time.

Call them angels or compassionate beings, I do believe they demonstrate the power of the Divine in our lives. St. Paul says: "Some have entertained angels unaware." On that day, one of the saddest days of my life, help came my way. I was blessed and I was not alone.

What I have learned from this is that even our simplest actions--smiling to a stranger walking past us on the street, holding the door for someone at the bookstore, or extending a hand to help an elderly person step down a flight of stairs--make a huge difference. When we reach out with gratitude and kindness, remembering the kindnesses bestowed us, well, there are no words to describe how good we feel. And how we know we are never alone.-

I truly believe that when you need something like a kind word or encouragement, God sends someone to you to help you. You may or may not know them but they are heaven sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment