Sunday, October 17, 2010

World Vision

When I was about 24 I decided I wanted to volunteer because I knew how fortunate and blessed I was to have two loving parents, a college education, a job and sooo much more. I wanted to give back what I was blessed with you could say. One of the things I decided to do was sponsor a child through World Vision. For those of you who aren't familiar with them,  World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. World Vision serves close to 100 million people in nearly 100 countries around the world. World Vision serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.


For me personally, my heart breaks when I hear of the stories of people suffering from lack of clean water and nutritious food, ragged clothes, loss of parents from AIDS, children forced into child labor and sex trafficking, and families without adequate housing. We are so blessed to live in the United States and have so much at our fingertips. 


This blog is meant to bring inspiration and encouragement and right now it may sound a little depressing BUT the thing is, it can be positive. ME-YOU-WE-US, can do something to help and make a difference. One of the first things you can do is sponsor a child. It's only $35/month and it will bring so much hope and happiness to a child and their family (if they have one!). Thirty-five is not much. It's what a dinner out. We can sacrifice a dinner out to help someone who is far less fortunate. If that's not your style though, World Vision has a gifts website where you can go online and purchase a "gift." This gift could be a farm animal, clothing, clean water, care for a orphan, art and music, bibles, soccer balls and so much more. One gift can make such a difference for one person or an entire community. What a fun family activity to do with your children. Go through the catalog and have the children pick something out. 


Christmas is going to be here before we know it and my wish is that anyone reading this will either 1)go online and either sponsor a child or purchase a gift or 2)donate to my fundraising to purchase multiple gifts for many people this Christmas. For anyone interested you can contact me on here or on facebook, email or cell. 


Website is www.worldvision.org and www.worldvisiongifts.org

No comments:

Post a Comment