Monday, May 31, 2010

Be the Bigger Person

I have worked in customer service forever or at least it seems that way. For the most part I enjoy people but you have those days when people just irritate you. I remember one day complaining to my mom about a customer and her response was "You never know what is going on in someone else's life. So let's give them the benefit of the doubt." Me, being a teenager was like "Whatever, mom" but she does have a valid point.

I heard a story that fits exactly what my mom was saying. A lady was getting a "makeover" done in cosmetics and being a little difficult. But the sales associate was patient and kept being nice to her anyway. At the end though the lady thanked the sales associate for being so nice. Her husband had died recently and this was the first time that she went out of the house. When people are hurting they don't purposely try to be rude and mean they are just grieving and trying to move forward.

Everyday people are faced with illness, job loss, debt, death, drama and they take it out people who have nothing to do with it. Try not to take it personally and just be the bigger person. You don't know what affect you may have on them by doing so.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelly, First of all I want to say you definitely have a way with words and expressing yourself.You should write a book.I personally can relate to this blog because I work very hard at building people up everyday.I have met many people in my career that are suffering, hurting in some way, have suffered a loss and the only outlet they have is coming into the salon. So hold my job dear and as a huge responsibility to not just give my guest good hair, but a great experience. I love to be able to build up someone's self esteem and self worth. You have put a lot of thought into your blogs. You are very inspirational and I hope you do write a book some day and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete