Thursday, May 27, 2010

What good can come from death?

This past weekend was rough. I knew of three people that were in the hospital and two of them passed. I wasn't close to either of them but I know people who were. The first to pass was a man who was 51 (my mom's age) and his son is good friends with my brother. The other man to pass was only 29 with a wife and two young girls. This man graduated a year ahead of me in school. His death probably hit me the hardest because he is my husbands age and I know how devastated I would be if I lost my husband. I imagined his wife coming home to their house for the first time without him. How would that feel? What about sleeping all alone or taking care of the girls by herself? For me personally I love to experience new things with my husband. It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't with me. I wonder if his wife is the same way? How do you move on when your best friend is no longer around and at such a young age?

So my point w/these stories is.........how do you move on and make the best out of a situation that is so devastating? Bad things happen in life and death is inevitable. So we need to learn to move forward especially when all you want to do is shout "THIS IS SO UNFAIR" and "WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME."

I try my best to look at the good in every situation b/c always looking at the bad or the negative will capture you in a rut that you can't get out of. Which could cause everything in your life to go downhill.

What good can come from death then.......well lets see:
  • it makes you reevaluate your life and your priorities. What is really important in your life? Family? Friends? Work?
  • "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted" Matthew 5:4
  • it can bring you closer to family or friends that you lost contact with
  • someone's death can show you that it isn't too late to accomplish a dream or make something right. It can be a second shot
  • that persons life can inspire you
  • it can show you to not take each day for granted and to make the most of every situation b/c life is shorter for some
  • you stop wasting time on petty life issues
  • you see how blessed you are and how much you have to be thankful for
I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't cry and grieve and that it won't take time but don't look at a death as the "end." You will see that person again in heaven. That person wouldn't want you to walk around sad and depressed but to instead celebrate their life and for you personally to live life to the fullest.

After this last weekend I thanked God for EVERYTHING I have no matter how big or small. You don't know what tomorrow holds, no one does so make sure you don't waste it on petty things that don't matter.

If anyone has other ideas please let me know. I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Not to get too methaphorical, but death in or of a relationship isn't always because of physical death, either! Still, you are left with that "aloneness" - that void - where you're sometimes dealing with the struggles of caring for children, and continuing on with life without that spouse or partner. It IS an adjustment!
    But let me offer some encouragement: through prayer, support of trusted loved ones, prayer, time, prayer, grieving - yes, grieving! - laughter, and prayer, there is renewed life and triumph on the other side!

    ReplyDelete