Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Little Perspective

Saturday's are big college football days in the fall. Definitely something that millions of people look forward to each week. Last night in one of the most tense and exciting games (ever possibly?), Michigan beat Notre Dame with 2 seconds to go! Everyone thought N.D. had it in the bag when they scored with 30 seconds to go. There's no way, N.D. can come back now, everyone's thinking.......well.....guess again. I like football but I don't go crazy for it but I'd have to say if that was Ohio State and they lost with 2 seconds to go, I'd be pretty mad too.

But here's where the story changes up a bit. A friend of mine has a boyfriend who is 1) a huge football fan and then 2) a huge N.D fan. So when they lost last night, she thought for sure he'd be mad. But when she turns around he's smiling........huh?!

He was talking to his uncle who had just went to a funeral for someone who had committed suicide. In the last couple months/years the uncle had been to more than enough funerals. Also 9.11 was the next day. He had told his nephew that things needed to be put into perspective. It was just football.

Just before I started writing this post I was reading our local paper. I'm not one to read the paper but today is a special day so I bought one. There were different 9.11 stories and stories from around the world and I have to say, a lot of it is depressing. The 9.11 stories hit home and I began thinking "What if" or "How hard-How sad" and so on.

Most of the news that is talked about is sad, depressing, negative and so on. That's one reason I had started this blog-so much sadness in the news. I didn't think I could take much more. I just wanted to close the paper and move on and then I remembered what my friend told me today.....Needing to Put Things in Perspective.....

Life is anything but easy and relaxed. If you aren't personally going through hard times, it's easy to forget that others are. But that's just it! Others are and they need our help. Our prayers. Our support, love and encouragement. Don't let the little or insignficant things in life, get you bent out of shape. Don't stir up trouble when there's enough as it is.

Our country will forever be changed but we still live in the most wonderful country there is! Let's not take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment