Sunday, October 23, 2011

Proverbs 14:26

When I stay in God's word, pray and go to church I find myself so much more at peace and life is......easier. Not that life is easy but when you know that God is with you and guiding you and helping you, there's a peace that washes over you no matter what you're facing in life.

I've gotten away from this blog but lately I've been reminded that people are still needing encouragement and inspiration. When my life is going well I easily forget to spend more time with God but as soon as a bump comes I'm right back in His word and looking for his guidance and help. I wish that wasn't the case but sadly it is. I read two devotional books today and they talked about exactly what I needed to hear and what a lot of others need to hear, so I'm going to share with you today.

Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have refuge"

"Fear of the Lord" means fearing to dishonor the Lord. Which means fearing to distrust the Lord. Which means fearing to fear anything that the Lord has promised to help you overcome. In other words, the fear of the Lord is the great fear destroyer. (John Piper)

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you." The Lord just told us he will strengthen us and help us, so if we worry about the problem he's telling us not to worry about, then we are casting a vote of no confidence in our Lord.

The Lord says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?" {Hebrews 13:5-6} If the Lord says that to you, then not to be confident in the Lord's promised presence and help is a kind of pride. It puts our reckoning of the trouble above God's. (John Piper)

When we trust God and fear dishonoring Him we are good examples to our children (I don't have any though, just fyi). When you show that your power and strength comes from God and not from your own ability we are good examples to our children. Children need to see that you, the parent aren't afraid or panicking but calm and steady. That's what makes a child feel safe and secure. You then become a refuge for your children just like God is a refuge for you.

From John Piper's book "Pierced by the Word: 31 Meditations for your Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment